Friday, September 05, 2008


When I first heard about Twitter, I thought it was kind of stupid -- who needs to update what they're doing or where they are every few minutes, and who would care?

Then yesterday I was reading Misty's blog and noticed Twitter in the sidebar where she said that she didn't have time to make a blog post (she had a baby a couple of weeks ago, after all), but she was posting to Twitter from her cell phone. And I thought, okay, that would be a perfect application for Pyewacket updates -- I know a lot of people are anxious to know how she's doing, but don't want to write and ask.

So I've got kitty updates in my Twitter -- the link is in the lefthand column, if you want to follow along.

She's hanging in there. We have her confined to Bob's office now, so she doesn't try to go downstairs, and so that Dinah doesn't bug her. She's pretty much stopped eating now; Bob said last night he got her to lick a little butter off his finger, and she lapped up some of the liquid from a can of tuna. She's still drinking water, though, and he carries her to the water dish several times a day. He's also washing her with a warm washcloth. She seems to like that.

This morning when I came back upstairs to get ready for work I brought her a little buffet plate with a little bit of cooked chicken, some deli roast beef, and a little bit of tuna, and I also brought the milk from the bottom of my cereal bowl. But I couldn't find her. She wasn't on the nest (a pile of his clothes) that Bob had made for her, and she wasn't under the recliner. I was calling for her softly when Bob called from the bedroom, "She's in here."

He had gotten up and brought her back to bed with him. He said I could take her back in the office and see if she'd eat, but I said no, let her stay with you. H e doesn't go in to work until 2:00 today, so he'll be there until early afternoon, and it won't be long before I get home.

I woke up in the middle of the night Tuesday night not feeling well, and still didn't feel right when I woke up on Wednesday morning, so I ended up staying home and working for about half a day. I don't know if I was really sick or if it was the stress catching up with me. I felt fine yesterday and today, but it's still a struggle.

previous | next


Sabrina said...

Thank you for thinking of us in the middle of this very difficult time. I, for one, have been worried and thinking of all of you constantly, and I find your Twitter idea very, very comforting. Thank you, Willa!

Liora said...

I like this Twitter idea, too, Willa. Thanks. I don't know about you, but when something hard is going on, sometimes it's the last thing I really want to talk about in detail. Sometimes a tweet is just short and sweet. I'm getting your updates on my phone now. Somehow that makes me feel a little closer, a little more connected than worrying I'll come here and find something. Please take care of yourself with as much love as you're giving Pye right now.

Sharon said...

I really like the Twitter idea. I'll just check there for Pye updates. I know it's a struggle. Just hang in there. I know it's hard. I'm thinking about you all.

Sabrina said...

Willa, is she in any pain? Is she on pain medication?

...and it's NOT silly how you are feeling. I would be a basket case - hang in there.

Willa said...

It's hard to tell, of course, but we don't think she's in pain. Bob said if she begins crying when we pick her up, we'll have to decide what to do, but for now she seems okay. She's shutting down, but it seems -- at least so far -- to be gentle, which is what I've been praying for.

Willa said...

. . . and we're not giving her any medication. It seems cruel to force something down her throat when the improvement is so minor; the specialty vet gave me a large syringe and said to mix cat food with water, but Bob said "we're not force feeding her like a goose," and I agree. We just have to let her go, hard as it is.

Joy Rothke said...

So sorry to hear about Pye. My best to you,


Lisa said...

Hi Willa,

I know this is weird, and hard to believe, but I've been reading your blog since 1999, but I have never left a comment. I don't know - I never felt I had anything worth writing, I suppose.


I'm sorry about Pye.